Saturday, February 21, 2009

In Loving Memory of John Williams

Our dear family friend John Williams was killed in a fire yesterday. He was a machinest and was working when a machine malfunctioned and sent the building up in flames (the building is off of 3400 West and between 78th & 90th South). He almost made it out - his body was found only 30 feet from the door, burned beyond recognition. I can't seem to get him off my mind. He was one of the absolute sweetest guys I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. It's hard to accept that he is gone, just like that.

His amazing wife, Joy, says she feels strongly that he didn't suffer, that angels were with him and protected him. I am so impressed by her faith ans strength and by the example both she and John always set. I am so glad to know her, and to have had the opportunity to know John as well.

This kind of thing just shakes me up so badly - as I'm sure it does everyone. It reminds me how precious and fragile life is... those we love, and we ourselves, can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Today is our 6th wedding anniversary, and I am just so grateful to have Ben and to share such an amazing and true love with him. Having this tragedy occur makes today a bit bittersweet, but it also reinforces my appreciation for my husband and those I love. I want to live every moment I have with them to the fullest, and make sure they know how much they mean to me. Love you all!

3 comments:

The Mattson's said...

That is so sad. John was a great man.

Crystal said...

This is a very terrible thing to hear. I saw the story on the news. I'm sorry you lost a friend and I hope his family finds comfort during this difficult time. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Tamina said...

I'm sorry to hear about that. But Happy Anniversary! (late) I sure love you tons!